Today I am doing research on something and the articles I am reading contains several words which I had to look up to fully understand what I was reading so I am adding them all in today’s Learn One New Word.
- A structural or behavioral characteristic peculiar to an individual or group.
- A physiological or temperamental peculiarity.
- An unusual individual reaction to food or a drug.
- Peculiar to the individual; “we all have our own idiosyncratic gestures”; “Michelangelo’s highly idiosyncratic style of painting”
- individual, single – being or characteristic of a single thing or person; “individual drops of rain”; “please mark the individual pages”; “they went their individual ways”
- An opinion, doctrine, or principle held as being true by a person or especially by an organization.
- A religious doctrine that is proclaimed as true without proof
- article of faith, credendum – (Christianity) any of the sections into which a creed or other statement of doctrine is divided
- church doctrine, religious doctrine, creed, gospel – the written body of teachings of a religious group that are generally accepted by that group
- The first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures.
- A scroll of parchment containing the first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures, used in a synagogue during services.
- The entire body of religious law and learning including both sacred literature and oral tradition.
Enzyte is a herbal nutritional supplement originally manufactured by Berkeley Premium Nutraceuticals (now Vianda, LLC) of Cincinnati, Ohio. The manufacturer has claimed Enzyte promotes “natural male enhancement”, which is suggestive of a euphemism for penile enlargement. However, its effectiveness has been called into doubt and the claims of the manufacturer have been under scrutiny from various state and federal organizations. Kenneth Goldberg, M.D., medical director of the Male Health Center at Baylor University, says, “It makes no sense medically. There’s no way that increasing blood flow to the penis, as Enzyte claims to do, will actually increase its size.”[read more here]
- A controversial argument, especially one refuting or attacking a specific opinion or doctrine.
- A person engaged in or inclined to controversy, argument, or refutation.
- A controversy (especially over a belief or dogma)
- Contestation, controversy, disceptation, arguing, argument, contention, disputation, tilt – a contentious speech act; a dispute where there is strong disagreement; “they were involved in a violent argument”
- In the manner of or resembling a novel.
- Like a novel.
- A letter, email, journal/blog entry or comment which is very lengthy and long-winded.
- When something is much longer than originally intended.
- A stripped down version of a novel.